Judy McKenzie Ceramics Artist - About me
The focus of my work has been the compelling materiality of the clay and my connection to it. Clay is a beautiful substance with which to work, malleable, compliant and sensual. It possesses a will of its own and so the process between maker and clay becomes a conversation, an intimate dialogue. To completely immerse oneself in making by hand is a very human and enormously gratifying and valuable experience.
My latest body of work explores the processes of Nerikomi and Kintsugi for the creation of unique and decorative ceramic objects. Nerikomi focuses full attention on the manipulated porcelain clay. Coloured with stains and oxides, and using hand-building techniques, patterns are created within the material. Kintsugi, embraces the imperfections that can occur during the processes involved in the construction and firing. My fascination with both techniques is not only that the clay and pattern combine to become the material of the object, but also, the true character and materiality of the clay can be exploited and brought to centre stage. When manipulated, the plasticity of the clay encourages movement, forming naturally soft lines, which appear to drift in and out of focus within the designs. Kintsugi becomes a precious scar, reminding us that strength and beauty exists in fragility.
Education and Exhibition details…
Royal College of Art - Ceramics and Glass, gained a Masters Degree
Havering College of Further and Higher Education: BA (Hons) 3D Design and Craft : Graduated 2015 1st Class BA (Hons)
Exhibitions and group shows
- Materialise' - Group Show in the private home of Preston Fitzgerald, London 2018
- Work in Progress Show - Royal College of Arts - 2018
- Cecilia Colman Gallery, London 'In the Window' 2015-2016
- Emerging Makers Exhibition, Bils and Rye Gallery, Yorkshire
- Society of Designer Craftsmen, Mall Galleries - August 2016
- Bevere Gallery, Worcester, Graduate Exhibition - Jan/Feb 2016
- ArtsThread : Handmade in Chelsea - Nov 2015
- Royal Opera Gallery Sculpture and Ceramic Exhibition - Oct 2015
- Innovations in Ceramic, Cambridge, Art Anglian Potters Showcase - Oct 2015
- Connect2colour Lacey Contemporary Gallery Finalist - July 2015
- New Designers graduate show - June 2015
A link to my current CV showing my Award from the ROSL. Click on the graphic to view.
My work was featured in the RCA Graduate Exhibition 2018.
The Mint Gallery - 2 North Terrace Kensington London SW3 has a collection of works from emerging artists which was launched during London Design Week. Four of my large Nerikomi bowls are in the gallery.
Thrown Gallery - 26 Highgate High Street Highgate London N65 is hosting a group exhibition called GRADUAL featuring some of my work. The exhibition is from 5th - 17th October 2018.
The Graduate Art Prize was established in 2013 by ARTIQ and Herbert Smith Freehills and is open to all final year students on BA and MA degree courses at British art colleges or universities. Some of my work has been entered! Please click on the graphic or here to vote for me.